how to create a holiday hair look for socially distant celebrations
Every year, we SO look forward to featuring a holiday look created by one of our friends, if not multiple! In past years, holiday parties were a chance to get dressed up, put on fancy makeup (hopefully glittery), and maybe even a chance to go to the salon to get your hair done for the occasion. Obviously, things are a lot different this year (just as most things have been in 2020)
We are foregoing big traditional gatherings with all our family, friends, loved ones, coworkers, and communities in the name of safety and health. COVID-19 numbers are on the rise again, and it is up to all of us to do our part, wear our masks, and limit our exposure to people outside of our households.
So, instead of giving you inspiration to show your stylist for a big party, we’re going to let our friend Sofia show you how she created a look that matches the times. Think of it as inspiration for your look when you're on FaceTimes or Zoom calls with friends, family, or just hanging with people at home (plus, sometimes the ritual of getting ready or doing your hair is the exact dose of self-care we all need). You deserve to celebrate!
- Apply soulfood nourishing mask to damp hair. This mask is packed with vitamins + nutrients to condition the hair making it soft, silky, and smoother than ever.
- Let soulfood do its thing for 10 minutes.
- Diffuse curls or blow dry with hair blow dryer brush, whatever’s your vibe for the season.
- Use the supernova moisture and shine cream by scrunching or raking through strands (quarter size amount for curly hair, a dime-sized amount for fine/straight hair). This leave-in cream weightlessly provides superior hydration and lightweight-conditioning, leaving hair supernaturally soft and smooth with brilliant shine.
- If you’re opting to play up your natural texture, hit your curls with the diffuser one more time to lock in the shine cream.
- Next, spray perk up dry shampoo at your roots for a little volume, texture, and hold. We traded out the standard aluminum starch for rice starch in our dry shampoo in order to restore hair’s volume and oomph.
After you’ve done your hair, venture to your bathroom, vanity, room, or wherever you like to get ready and get a little festive. When it came to makeup, Sofia opted for silver glitter, very reminiscent of past New Year’s Eves. Whether you want to go with a more dramatic route or more wearable, Sephora has everything you will need in their own Sephora Collection. Sofia chose to wear a dress and really play the part, but do what makes YOU comfortable. If you ask us, the best of both worlds is sweatpants (business on the bottom) and a cute top (party on the top). But you know, that’s just us.
From all of us here at amika, we hope you have a healthy, happy, and safe holiday season!