hair masking 101
Over the years, facemasks have seeped into our collective consciousness. We accept that sleepovers are an excuse to slather our faces with brightly hued facemasks that promise clear, pore-free skin. As a result, facemasks are synonymous with self-care and relaxation. How could one possibly de-stress without a layer of the mask du jour on one’s visage?
Despite the prevalence of facemasks, hair masks are still a bit of a mystery. The question, “What in the world is a hair mask?” is uttered once every 20 minutes at boozy brunch in New York City.
Let us break it down for you.
Hair masks are deep conditioners. Hair masks are to your limp, tired tresses what a deep-tissue massage is to your weary muscles. Essentially, hair masks are conditioner on crack.
These treatments are a weekly luxury that will penetrate your hair cuticle to repair, restore, and revitalize your hair all while you… do nothing. Yes, that’s right! Once you’ve applied the mask to your locks – from roots to ends – your job is done and the mask gets its work in while you chill. After a brief duration of time, you’ll rinse your hair and continue with the remainder of your styling regimen. And don’t worry – hair masks are suitable for all hair types, you don’t have to worry about it weighing down your fine hair. The key is to apply it to your mid-length and ends where your hair has been with you the longest vs. your roots.
Hair masking is no different than face masking. It’s a little 10-minute addition to your pamper routine that will leave your hair soft and shiny with minimum effort. Curious as to how we mask? Keep on reading for our step-by-step guide below:
- Enhance your shower ritual by lighting some candles and informing Alexa to play your chill playlist. *
- Turn on your shower and make sure the water is your perfect temperature before getting in.
- Grab Normcore Signature Shampoo for your stash of products and allow the suds to form on your scalp as you leisurely wash your hair.
- Rinse and follow with a generous helping of Normcore Signature Conditioner from mid-length to ends.
- Do a little dance before you wash the conditioner out.
- Grab your mask of choice – we recommended Soulfood Nourishing Mask for replenishing nourishment and the Kure Intense Repair Mask for an intensive treatment – and proceed to massage a heaping dollop of the product from roots to ends.
- Allow the mask to seep into the hair shaft for up to 10 minutes.
- Proceed with your usual shower routine as the mask works it magic.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly - we’re fond of a cool water rinse to seal your hair cuticle, making it lay smoothly and give more shine
- Turn off your shower, grab your towel to dry off, and just like that… you’re back to normal with the exception of the fact that your hair just received a non-invasive, antioxidant rich treatment that will leave you with enviable hair all week long.
*candles and music are optional though highly recommended.